Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Summer at SCR '09 - The Call

“Might be best if you just brought your own horse and rode her. Figure that way you’d be more comfortable cause you already know her.”

Oh crap. Yeah, I knew her and comfortable was not the word to describe the way I was going to feel riding her on the ranch this summer.

“Ooookaaay. Uh, sure.”

I sure as certain wasn’t going to voice that concern to my cousin, Grant. The last thing I wanted was to give him the impression that I was going to be more trouble than I was worth. Breeze, on the other hand, I knew she was waaay more trouble than she was worth.

“I’m going to leave here right after in-service. That’ll be over around noon, so I should get to the ranch around five thirty.”

“Okay, adios.”

I pressed End and stared down at the cell phone in my hand. My stomach was churning with a toxic mix of excitement and dread. This was the chance of the lifetime and I had romanticized it in my head for three full weeks now. In not one of those daydreams was I mounted on my own mare. No, the only thing my bi-polar Appendix mare would star in was an equine knockoff of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I hastily dialed Debbie, my friend and sensei for all things horse.

“Hey D, what’s up?”

“He wants me to ride Breeze.”

I’m guessing she could hear the tension in my voice. She laughed, the jerk.

“It’ll be okay. She’ll be fine. There will be so much to going on, she’ll have plenty to keep her mind busy.”

Oh please Lord let that be the truth.

“Okay, sure. You’re right. I’m going to choose to believe that or else I won’t sleep a wink tonight. Okay, you’re right.”

If I repeated it often enough maybe I could convince myself.

“You’ll be fine D. Really. It’s going to be awesome.”

“I know. I’m still super excited. Just a little unconfident. I knew that I was going to be clueless but I thought I would at least be riding a horse that knew what was going on. Now I’m going to be clueless on a bat-crap crazy mare.” My voice rose an octave at the end.

She laughed again and I tried to remember why I had called her. . .

“Well, I’ve got to pack and get Breeze’s stuff ready too so I guess I’ll let you go.”

“Alright, you’d better call me and let me know how things go. Ya’ll will be fine, D. Just have fun.”

“K, Bye.”

I quickly busied my mind with the details of what I would need for both myself and my horse for a month long stay. Maybe Deb was right and everything would be fine. Besides, Breeze could be absolutely great on a good day. I just needed to pray that she could put together a string of them.




Miss Bi-polar herself, aka Breeze

1 comment: